Thursday 26 July 2012

Personal Reflection- Edwin Liauw

It was an enjoyable and memorable experience doing this project as this is the very first assignment in my life that actually carries a level of reality into it for we had to scout for a real operating company and seek their approval of working with them. It’s really unlike the other “make-believe” projects and assignments I did for the past 10 years of my education life. The fact that the assignment was so real really spurred me to give my all. The assignment was crafted in such a way that it’s so realistic that it depicts the real working world yet scaled down to a comfortable level whereby it’s still manageable for students of our age. It is a really a great pleasure to be able to work in my SMM team because I not only learn a great deal from each and everyone but also be able to feel comfort, care and support for one another, something that did not exist in the past 10 years of my education life. For this project, I was the “creative guy” of the team constantly offering an alternate perspective to get things done or propose an idea that’s different from the general masses such as an alternative way of presentation or a more pragmatic way to get things done systematically. During the initial stage of the project whereby we had to scout for a company to work with, I tried scouting for one but was turned down which was a common fate faced by my teammates and the worst part was that the deadline was pressing down on us. I then approached the other teams in my class to check if they had more than one company that agreed to work with them and if they are able to pass the job over to us if there was one. This was done as a last minute contingency plan as we had to prepare for the worst and I told my team that in the event whereby no company, that our team approached, wishes to work with us, we have a backup plan. This was done in order to prevent our team’s morale and spirit from crumbling. Luckily the company approached by Wesley agreed to work with us thus averting the crisis faced. For the 1st presentation, I was in charge of presenting our team’s proposed strategy which was named as “Buy 3 get 1” free. As for the preparation for the 2nd presentation on the comparison between a local and overseas café, I was in-charge of finding an overseas café similar to that of our café. I managed to find a couple of overseas café and our team decided to use one of the overseas café that I found which was “Delta Café” a Portuguese café. I helped out in the creation of the slides and presentation of the delta café. For the 2nd presentation, I was in-charge of presenting the points of the level of engagement, strengths and weaknesses, areas of improvement and response level of delta café. This Project taught me that in order to succeed we must work as a closely-knitted team. We are so inter-connected, so -interdependent that if any of us collapse, the whole team will collapse. It's really a "All for one, One for all! Progress as a team or there will be no progress at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment